POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ghurghusht: artifacts at dawn : Re: Ghurghusht: artifacts at dawn Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:30:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ghurghusht: artifacts at dawn
From: Alain
Date: 13 Jun 2010 10:42:30
Message: <4c14ee56$1@news.povray.org>

> High!
>
> On 06/12/2010 08:26 PM, Alain wrote:
>
>> By precision, I think that it's FP precision. I think that you are
>> pushing the floating point calculations very close to it limits.
>>
>> The planet is large, your position over it's surface is very low.
>
> So the only way would be to scale the whole scene by 10 or 100?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

No. The problem is not the location nor the planet itself, BUT the
location AND the dimention of the planet.
You have very small distances with very large object. That's the
problem: the /range/ of the scales.

One way that you could possibly work around would be, when you get close
enough to the geound that the planetary curvature becomes barely
perceptible, to switch to a limited, flat-world, version of the planet.
The part beyond the horizon can then be totaly droped, or replaced by a
large sphere located totaly under and out of view WHEN it can have an
effect on the scene. You may also be able to use a simple disk for that.
The function of that disk would only be to provide a shadow for the media.

Alain