POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ghurghusht: artifacts at dawn : Re: Ghurghusht: artifacts at dawn Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ghurghusht: artifacts at dawn
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Jun 2010 03:20:26
Message: <4c1486ba$1@news.povray.org>

news:4c140029$1@news.povray.org...
> High!
>
> On 06/12/2010 08:26 PM, Alain wrote:
>
>> By precision, I think that it's FP precision. I think that you are
>> pushing the floating point calculations very close to it limits.
>>
>> The planet is large, your position over it's surface is very low.
>
> So the only way would be to scale the whole scene by 10 or 100?

I am afraid that you cannot have the best of two worlds, or like they say in
French: "To have the butter, and the money for the butter"  ;-)
Zooming in close to a modelled planet pushes your possibilities to the
extreme and scaling your scene would not help. My advice for the groundlevel
landscape would be to model a scene totally separated from the planet model
itself but in accordance with its character of course. If you want to zoom
in from planet-wide view to groundlevel-wide view in an animation, you will
have to find a way to merge from one to the other in a satisfactory way.

Thomas