POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ceramic texture WIP : Re: Ceramic texture WIP Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ceramic texture WIP
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Jun 2010 04:53:13
Message: <4c0e04f9@news.povray.org>
"Edouard" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> schreef in bericht
> I've been thinking about rendering ceramics for a while, and I finally had
> time
> to start playing with some textures. This is the fired, unglazed ceramic
> texture
> - there's still quite a lot that could be improved, but it's at least
> looking
> plausible to me.

This is a VERY good texture. It looks glazed to me because of the speculars.
It is not the shiny glaze of course, but the one I personally prefer, a
discrete one which you see on stoneware utility pots for instance.

> The glaze will be much harder. The crazing from the glaze shrinking at a
> different rate from the clay when fired is probably not possibly in SDL,
> which
> is a shame.

You may try an extra texture layer with a semi-transparant pigment, a
specular finish, and a normal using either one of the crackles, or facets.

Thomas