POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A treacherous Knife [wip 2] : Re: A treacherous Knife [wip 2] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A treacherous Knife [wip 2]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 2 Jun 2010 04:02:54
Message: <4c06102e$1@news.povray.org>
"Dave Blandston" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.4c04d1d7816befb6cba3fb0f0@news.povray.org...
> Very nice lighting. I was interested to learn about the "Harmattan" winds.
> Where
> I live we have annual winds called "Santa Ana" winds that are hot instead
> of
> cool.

Thanks. I was reminded of the Harmattan by Stephen, while working on my
current entry to the "Money" challenge of TC-RTC. It remained in my memory
and came out again for this scene :-)

I was surprised to learn that the Harmattan is a (relatively) cool wind,
coming from the desert. However, I suppose that is mainly because the Gulf
of Guinea itself is stifflingly hot (and humid) in contrast. Deserts are
very cold at night of course, but that is probably not the whole explanation
as I am no desert expert, and the Santa Ana is hot as you say, so more
parameters are at play here...

Thomas