POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pioneer WIP : Re: Pioneer WIP Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pioneer WIP
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 16 May 2010 17:21:24
Message: <4bf061d4$1@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:

> I doubt the plate looks aged at all. It probably is still as shiny as
> it was when the spacecraft was launched.

I looked for information on how well it would preserve
but didn't find much. In the end I suppose it's a matter
of time, even tiny and unlikely impacts would accumulate
over millions of years.

> At the velocities involved even a small speck would either make a
> neat hole or destroy the whole spacecraft.

Not necessarily, it depends on how small the speck it.
E.g. the star dust misson could capture dust particles at
extreme velocities (it used aerogel for this but that was
more for protecting the particle from being smashed).