POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 changes to file gamma? : Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma? Server Time
15 May 2024 12:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma?
From: Alain
Date: 3 May 2010 17:34:39
Message: <4bdf416f$1@news.povray.org>

> "Quietman"<quietman1968 at hotmail dot com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just trying out beta 37 of povray and all output files are over bright
>> compared with earlier versions.
>>
>> I always add the following lines to the end of my povray.ini file.
>>
>> ; .png Image Type by default
>> Output_File_Type=N
>>
>> ; Picture brightness
>> Display_Gamma=1
>> File_Gamma=1
>>
>> The display seems ok but the output file is lighter, even with the default
>> file type (BMP).
>>
>> Anyone else having trouble or is it my setup thats gone wrong somewhere?
>>
>> Cheers.
> Hello,
>
> I have the same problems with PovRay 3.7 beta 37.
> Previous beta version was OK for me : 3.7 beta 36. But for installation of beta
> 37 it was need to uninstall beta 36... Now all pictures are white...
> I tried with this ini seetings:
> ; Persistence Of Vision raytracer version 3.5 sample file.
> File_Gamma = 0.980
> Display_Gamma = 0.980
> Antialias=On
> Sampling_Method=1
> Antialias_Threshold=0.1
> Antialias_Depth=4
> Input_File_Name=name.pov
> Output_Alpha=off
> Output_File_Type=N   ;; S= bmp, T=uncompressed tga&   N png output
> +w800
> +h600
>
> ;+w3200
> ;+h2400
> Cyclic_Animation=off
> Pause_when_Done=on
>
> But if "assumed_gamma 0.98" at 0.98, 1.00, 1.02, 2.0 ,2.2 is present in the .pov
> file, same result in the picture : white.
> It seems that we can obtain something right if we comment assumed_gamma value :
> //assumed_gamma 0.98
> in the .pov file
> and if we use File_Gamma and Display_Gamma in the ini file.
>
> Now, the modification of assumed_gamma "value" in the .pov file seems to have no
> effect on the picture (display)
>
> May it is possible to find beta 36 somewhere?
>
> Many thanks for your advices.
>
> Cheers,
>
> JJ

assumed_gamma is been phased out and obsolete.
Removing it, or commenting it out is the thing to do.

I don't see your problem on my side. In fact, the files I render with
beta 37 are identical to the beta 36. But, I had the habit of removing
any assumed_gamma before I started using any of the 3.7 betas.
In some scenes, I found some prety weird values, like 0.1, 5 or more,
and some negative values...

Anyway, file_gamma and display_gamma should be set to the actual gamma
value of your system. 0.980 very probably is not the real gamma of your
system. Normaly, it's closer to 2.2.

Alain