POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alley Sunflower WIP : Re: Alley Sunflower WIP Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alley Sunflower WIP
From: Alain
Date: 28 Apr 2010 22:45:04
Message: <4bd8f2b0$1@news.povray.org>

> Redoing a scene I lost when my old PC went belly-up.
>
> It's an idea I have for a painting that I want to make. So now I first
> want to try and create a "photo" to paint from - with Pov-Ray :)
> I still need to add doors, windows, fire-escape and trash. Any
> suggestions on how to do these objects will be highly appreciated.
>
> I ran into memory problems with the isosurface bricks, so this is a
> mixture of isosurface and mesh bricks using Bill Pragnells mesh relief
> macro. I have 5 different mesh bricks, randomly mirrored and rotated,
> but I still get 3 of the same bricks in a row. Any ideas on how to get
> it more random?
>
> Also struggling with the tar texture. I'm trying to get the effect of
> old cracked tar. It's an isosurface using a pigment function.
>

> Suggestions, help and critique welcome.
>
> -Nekar Xenos-

Random don't mean that there is no repeating pattern.
If you want to reduce the succession, you can:
- Use another random seed.
- Add some slight texture changes: pigment and normals.
- Define one or two more bricks.

For the windows, as you are using individual bricks, remove the bricks
in the window's openings. Turn the bricks protuding into the window 90
degrees, or use some half bricks.

Old asphalt is much lighter, normaly, it's a relatively light gray.

Alain