POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : #read: why is the second variable undeclared? : Re: #read: why is the second variable undeclared? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #read: why is the second variable undeclared?
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 23 Apr 2010 12:14:34
Message: <4bd1c76a$1@news.povray.org>
High!

Christian Froeschlin wrote:

> Note that high resolution meshes require a lot of parse time,
> so before you embark on this 8 month analysis you might wish
> to verify that it will actually help your animation.

You're right... I found out that at least the first four month (the
probing process) can be left out as at 24-bit resolution for the "height
fields" (from which the actual mesh2s will be constructed) even with the
rough 1800 x 900 probing across the whole planet, the smallest height
interval will be a mere 2.5 mm - any higher resolution probing will
increase this only by a few microns, and any elevations outside the
range already determined could easily be handled by adjusting them to
the "floor" and "ceiling" values.

The only problem with this mesh2/"heightfield" approach will be that
unlike with the original isosurface, there will by no overhangs (but
also no "hovering rocks") anymore...

Meanwhile, I did a test scene using the isosurface - it took 40 minutes
and 25 seconds! I hope I get the mesh2 version working tonight...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: I Take The Dice (Duran Duran) - as if time stood still 26
years ago...