POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My latest Saturn : My latest Saturn Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  My latest Saturn
From: Rarius
Date: 13 Apr 2010 19:10:44
Message: <4bc4f9f4@news.povray.org>
My friend is preparing an astronomy lecture and asked me to produce a video
of a saturn flyby, so I dusted of an old saturn I did, but I wasn't
satisfied with the rings.

The original version used a spherical pattern and a colour_map to do the
rings, but it looked flat and artificial.

Here is the latest version. The new version uses three images from Bjorn
Jonsson's excellent website (http://www.mmedia.is/~bjj/) for the rings. The
problem I had was that POV has no innate way of mapping an image_map
radially onto a flat plane (ie the rings). I solved this by writing some
functions that map a radial coordinate onto the linear image_map. The new
rings show far more detail and look much more realistic. If anyone knows an
easier way please tell me!

I have posted the source and image files into p.b.s-f

Now the animation is done, my friend has asked if I can do another of
Jupiter!

Rarius

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: