POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC WIP : Re: IRTC WIP Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC WIP
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 13 Apr 2010 04:11:09
Message: <4bc4271d$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> Completely off-topic: Your .png image is showing up with different gamma
> 'values' depending if I look at it's 'preview' image here in the newsgroups vs.
> clicking on the image link, to bring it up as a stand-alone image. (I'm using
> the latest version of Firefox as my web browser, in both cases.) The preview has
> much darker shadows, and more contrast overall. Anyway, I've never seen this
> behavior here in the newsgroups before. Kind of a mystery! I can't tell which is
> the 'correct' image. Makes me wonder if the newsgroup 'software' is altering the
> gamma values of .png images when displaying a preview. OR, whether Firefox
> itself has a gamma flaw.

Same here ... I recently switched to Thunderbird for news reader and I
see the same behavior when viewing image in-line (through news reader).
When I bring up the image as an attachment and view it with either eog
(default image viewer on gnome) or save the file and view with gimp they
look the same. Firefox/Thunderbird problem? They DO have common roots
coming from mozilla.

Jim