POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planetary atmosphere using media : Re: Planetary atmosphere using media Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planetary atmosphere using media
From: John VanSickle
Date: 11 Apr 2010 12:27:57
Message: <4bc1f88d$1@news.povray.org>

> The most striking flaw with all scattering types is the extremely dark
> sky at low illumination angles - the sunrise looks like on Mars but not
> like on a planet with Earth-like atmospheric pressure. Could using an
> area light instead of a point light be helpful here? Or do I have to
> fake the indirectly illuminated sky before dawn by using an additional
> (shadowless) fill light source?

Perhaps one reason that pre-dawn and early dawn scenes look much darker
than what you're used to seeing in the real world is the fact that our
eyes adjust to darkness and brightness to bring all scenes to the
middle.  If things are too dark, our eyes adjust to make everything
brighter.

Regards,
John