POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Ghurghusht Rotation Movie : Apollo 11 Server Time
17 May 2024 17:33:00 EDT (-0400)
  Apollo 11
From: TC
Date: 30 Mar 2010 18:44:37
Message: <4bb27ed5$1@news.povray.org>
> I was born too late to witness it live on TV - but astronauts (and
> especially the Apollo guys) have always been my heros throughout
> childhood.

It is one of my earliest memories. Well, when I was young, I always thought
that by now we would have at least a base on the moon. Maybe have gone to
Mars.

Now I suppose we will remain earthbound forever. It is not worth it (in
monetary terms). We know what our planets look like. They are not very
interesting. Terraforming? Takes too long, if possible at all. Mining? Not
economical.

Explore other worlds, other planets, other suns? Unless somebody comes up
with a way to travel faster than light - no chance. And faster-than-light
travel? Highly improbable - I guess the chances are around zero for anybody
finding a way to bypass Einstein. Even if somebody did, we would still need
a means of radioactive shielding (at high velocities any incoming radiation
becomes really mean short-wave), a deflector shield (at really high speeds
even a small speck of dust has lots of destructive energy) and a vast, cheap
energy source to power all this. So: another dream gone bust.

This is rather depressing.

On the other hand, physics can be tricked. I remember writing an essay on
sub-micro and nano-lithography some 20 years ago. Why it would be impossible
to do without having to resort to gamma-rays. Man, was I wrong. Who would
have guessed at immersion lithography back then? Therefore my comment
above - while I don't think so with what I know now, there may be a way to
navigate around Einstein - something nobody has currently thought of...
well, hope always dies last.

As a side note, guess how big the Apollo guidance computer was: memory
capacity was just 4 kB with 36 kB ROM!  ;-)