POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media atmosphere for planet - why green sky? : Re: Media atmosphere for planet - why green sky? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media atmosphere for planet - why green sky?
From: clipka
Date: 28 Mar 2010 19:11:30
Message: <4bafe222$1@news.povray.org>

> This weekend, I added a media atmosphere around my planet Ghurghusht...
> after some tinkering, I found out that generally, it works using
> scattering media only. But I wonder why the sky has such a strange color
> close to the horizon... and as I took a shot at the zenith, it turned
> out darker and duller than expected!

The horizon looks pretty fitting to me, kind of like dusty air.

As for the dark zenith, you'll have to increase the density of the upper
atmospheric layers.

While at the zenith all atmospheric layers have equal influence on the
resulting color, near the horizon the lower atmospheric layers greatly
dominate, because the light travels through them at a (comparatively)
much shallower angle than through the upper layers.