POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Height_field storage method : Re: Height_field storage method Server Time
25 Apr 2024 20:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height_field storage method
From: clipka
Date: 21 Mar 2010 18:18:09
Message: <4ba69b21$1@news.povray.org>
scott schrieb:

> Are you sure that 3x16 bit will be enough under all conditions to give a
> perfect result?  Worst case I am thinking of is some convex curved
> surface that has been scaled a lot in one axis (eg <1,100,1>) and then
> has a mirror finish.  Any tiny error in the surface normals will be
> easily visible.

I'd consider that a pathological case anyway. If you do it to compensate
for bad scaling of the original data then you're doing something wrong
somewhere else. Other than that, such scaling will also stretch the
triangles pathologically, so I'd not expect any high-precision results
from it regardless of normals precision.