POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My boats : Re: My boats Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My boats
From: clipka
Date: 21 Mar 2010 16:37:09
Message: <4ba68375$1@news.povray.org>
jhu schrieb:
> Not very roomy, but cheap enough to maintain!

Source code or it's a photograph! ;-)

Amazing work. I'd add a bit more large-scale turbulences and offset to
the wood grain though, so that it does /not/ coincide precisely with the
shape of the hull. I also think it's a particularly unusual orientation
of the wood grain, as it would be prone to cracking (though it might be
feasible with the segmented configuration you used, which admittedly is
visually very appealing with this shape).

I'd also suggest to laquer the ships (transparent of course), or
otherwise protect them against the water. As it is, the wood looks
untreated to me, so I guess if it would see frequent use it might soon
become wet and deform.

I like your use of focal blur to give a sense of scale. Some people here
will probably disagree, but I think it's just the right amount of blur
for this purpose and scale.

Is the rear boat sinking? Looks like its deck is partially submerged.

And then there's still quite some edges left that ask to be "broken"
(i.e. beveled or rounded with a small diameter).

If you want to do it perfect, you may also want to model the holes in
which the masts and stuff are mounted (you didn't just glue them to the
surface, did you?).

But even as it is now, I'd consider the image Hall-Of-Fame quality.
Might make a great showcase scene for wood grain, focal blur, and water.
How long did it take to render?

As I mention this, I notice one issue that would make it unsuitable as a
showcase scene: Some parts (especially the masts) seem to have a much
finer grain than the hull; so that's more like an example of how /not/
to do it ;-)