POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : high resolution height_field functions : Re: high resolution height_field functions Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:11:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: high resolution height_field functions
From: scott
Date: 17 Mar 2010 09:10:27
Message: <4ba0d4c3@news.povray.org>
> I am probably wrong, but imo, those are not the normals (no normals
> defined here)

I only said that because the problem seems to really show up around the
specular light rather than in the texturing.  Presumably POV needs to
somehow calculate the normals internally?

> Have you tried nPoints=10000?

Same problem, just smaller scale (see attached the "smooth" version).  IME
with mesh modellers the appearance indicates incorrectly calculated normals
(this type of pattern certainly shouldn't be visible with triangles the size
of a few pixels).  Anyway, the image seems to get *worse* with more
elements, shouldn't it be getting better?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'image2.png' (238 KB)

Preview of image 'image2.png'