POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Making Planets : Re: Making Planets Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Planets
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 15 Mar 2010 22:40:57
Message: <4b9eefb9@news.povray.org>
High!

Kirk Andrews wrote:
 > Thanks for the nice comments.  Here's another, larger render.  This
one I rendered with beta 35, and the media seems to have rendered quite
substantially different.  I had to do some post-processing to make up
for it.

 > In case you were curious, the land forms are an isosurface based on
F_ridged; the ocean is a transparent sphere with colored fade statements
in the interior.  I used two separate spheres with media--one for
general atmosphere and another for clouds.

Awesome... how did you use F_ridged? Could you render a surface close-up
(with the camera located a few meters above the surface looking towards
the horizon) of one of your continents?

Coincidentally, I currently also work on a planet, and my isosurface
consists of a blend of granite, spherical and crackle:

#declare S = // for the basic spherical shape
function { x*x + y*y + z*z -1 }

#declare P_Average =
pigment
{
   average
   pigment_map
   {
     [0.5 granite scale 10 poly_wave 0.333 ]
     [1 spherical scale 10 turbulence 0.5 poly_wave 0.333 ]
     [0.025 crackle scale 0.2 turbulence 1 ]
   }
}

#declare Terrain_Part4_Function=
function
{
   pigment { P_Average }
}

overlain with bozo for large-scale altitude variation:

#declare Terrain_Part2_Function=
function
{
   pattern
   {
     bozo
   }
}

#declare Terrain_Function=
function { S(x, y, z) + Terrain_Part4_Function (x*50, y*50,
z*50).gray*0.05 + Terrain_Part2_Function (x, y, z)*0.01 }

The altitudes range between about -7 and 30 kms (relative to sea
level)... but the shores of the scattered small "seas" are mostly very
steep (see images below) - I would preferably have more flat low-lying
lands around the "seas"! How can this be achieved?

Perhaps we could join forces in building our worlds...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '2010-03-15 ghurghusht, glatzer lacus region from 8000 km altitude, lookingdown, take 1.jpg' (177 KB) Download '2010-03-16 ghurghusht, schmidt lacus, achakzai peninsula from 1.7 m altitude,looking southeast, take 1.jpg' (17 KB)

Preview of image '2010-03-15 ghurghusht, glatzer lacus region from 8000 km altitude, lookingdown, take 1.jpg'
2010-03-15 ghurghusht, glatzer lacus region from 8000 km altitude, lookingdown, take 1.jpg

Preview of image '2010-03-16 ghurghusht, schmidt lacus, achakzai peninsula from 1.7 m altitude,looking southeast, take 1.jpg'
2010-03-16 ghurghusht, schmidt lacus, achakzai peninsula from 1.7 m altitude,looking southeast, take 1.jpg