POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lens flare in scene : Re: Lens flare in scene Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lens flare in scene
From: Alain
Date: 7 Mar 2010 11:03:44
Message: <4b93ce60$1@news.povray.org>

> I've had no internet at home for the last 2 months, but that doesn't mean I
> haven't been povving! This is something I came up with a few weeks ago. I'm
> probably not the first person to attempt this, but I decided to experiment
> with lens flare/bloom effects without any post-processing.
>
> The trick is there's a mirror behind the camera with multiple normal maps
> blended together (by averaging the texture), and another mirror just in
> front of the camera that's part-reflective part-transparent. The transparent
> part lets us see the scene, the reflective part shows the mirror behind,
> which reflects multiple rays to trace all the samples needed for lens flare.
>
> This is a ludicrously elaborate way to do things, and makes a simple scene
> take AGES to render, but it's kind of fun to play with these things :)
>
> I'll post an animation in p.b.a and source in p.b.s-f shortly...

Nice trick.

You can probably do with one less mirror.

Instead of having a miror behind the camera and a partialy transparent
one in front, use only one in front of the camera and place the scene
itself behind the camera. The mirror need a flat normal. Give that flat
normal a higher weight than the others.

For a sample, there is a scene named "hot thing" that use that trick. It
use specular highlight and several lights to create a bloom effect.

Another way would be to have a transparent poligon in front of the
camera. Give that poligon an averaged normal and an ior.

Alain