POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Landscape Design : Re: Landscape Design Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Landscape Design
From: stbenge
Date: 23 Feb 2010 16:37:44
Message: <4b844aa8@news.povray.org>
Dave Blandston wrote:
> "Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Nice patio. Hey, is that a San Pedro cactus back there?
>
> Yes, lots of vegetation. I enjoy gardening and currently have lots of tropical
> plants in my yard. I planned to put a Senegal date palm (Phoenix reclinata) on
> the upper left terrace, a row of three matching palms (probably Queen palms) on
> the bottom terraces - two on the left and one on the right, as well as numerous
> smaller plants and accent rocks. I was really surprised when the association
> denied my proposal. I never imagined they would reject it so I already had a
> mason scheduled even!
>
> The blue cactus is a Pilosocereus pachycladus. It's beautiful and easy to grow.
> My wife and I like blue plants and we have several others including some blue
> bamboo (Bambusa chungii Barballata), three blue palm trees (two Bismarckia
> nobilis and one Brahea armata), a blue agave, and a blue cycad (Encephalartos
> princeps).

Ah, it would be so nice to grow all kinds of cacti! We live at 5200',
and it gets too cold :( Our Opuntias barely hang on, our Trichocereus
(or were they Pilosocereus?) have all died out, but we do have some
Agave which is doing OK, I suppose. The severe, sharp type is doing much
better than the softer type.

It's even a little difficult to grow lawn grass. The grass native to
this area has a purple/lavender color to it. Interestingly enough, there
are at least two other lavender-colored plants around here, one of them
being a sort of hardy Miner's Lettuce. It's almost as if having that
color makes the plants more suited for this climate.