POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Woven Cloth Texture : Re: Woven Cloth Texture Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Woven Cloth Texture
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 17 Feb 2010 16:54:56
Message: <4b7c65b0@news.povray.org>
Ive wrote:

>> #declare N_Cloth = normal {function {f_cloth(x,y,z).red}}
>>

> sorry, but this will not work (as expected) as the function you feed
> into the normal statement needs to evaluate the *slope* and not the
> *height* at a specific point in 3d space.

I have to admit I didn't think too deep about this and just did a
test render which looks suspicously similar to that of Thomas ;)

In the documentation I now found 3.5.2.1

"Each of the various pattern types available is in fact a mathematical
function that takes any x, y, z location and turns it into a number
between 0.0 and 1.0 inclusive. That number is used to specify where the
various high and low spots are."

I'd interpret that to mean it's actually the height, not the slope.
Also, a slope_map assigning slopes to heights makes more sense then.