POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Mysteries of Radiosity : Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity
From: clipka
Date: 12 Feb 2010 13:33:29
Message: <4b759ef9$1@news.povray.org>
Reactor schrieb:

> Goodness, that's after 1 day??  If I were you, I would reduce the count and
> error bound, and increase the pretrace start.  I'd try something more like:

No, if you were me, then you wouldn't :-P

A high count is vital, as the light coming through the keyhole otherwise
creates a "disco ball" effect, i.e. bright splotches scattered across
the room, and the light from the slightly opened door would form streaks
on the ground. Been there, seen that. Reducing the error_bound would not
be sufficient to fix that (and create even more samples anyway, which
not only means again more rays to shoot, but also more samples to look up).

And increasing pretrace_start isn't likely to change a thing - not at
these *_reuse settings, which mandate the sample density to roughly
match pixel size (at a resolution of 1200x900 pixels).