POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Mysteries of Radiosity : Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity
From: clipka
Date: 12 Feb 2010 11:19:30
Message: <4b757f92$1@news.povray.org>
scott schrieb:
>> There's one potential stumbling block: The "main loop", as I'd call
>> it. In order to implement SMP this has changed quite a lot.
>> Re-starting the render phase over and over again might not be as easy
>> as it was in 3.6.
>
> Once all blocks have finished in the current image, I wonder if you
> could re-submit blocks again from the beginning to be re-rendered?  The
> main loop code would have to deal with averaging the results rather than
> just writing them to the screen/file.

That should be possible indeed. However, the render threads would have
to be paused somehow while writing to the screen/file.

At any rate, I guess the problem can be solved, but it is the major
obstacle to expect.

>> I hope, however, that whoever picks up that glove will not copy MCPov
>> behaviour 1:1, as I recently found out that MCPov gets diffuse
>> illumination wrong by what appears to be a factor of 2 in brightness.
>
> Really?  What exactly do you mean by this (the whole scene is 2x bright,
> but relative brightnesses are correct)? How do I check it?

Essentially, MCPov behaves like radiosity with a "brightness 0.5"
setting, that is, diffuse illumination is attenuated by a factor of 0.5
/per bounce/, messing with the brightness of shadows in relation to that
of non-shadowed portions of the scene.

Initially I found out by comparing radiosity and MCPov results, leading
me to the assumption that radiosity might be wrong in using a defailt
brightness of 1.0; however, a carefully designed test revealed that
brightness 1.0 is indeed the right setting to use, and that MCPov is
doing it wrong; see news://news.povray.org:119/4b093e4b@news.povray.org
in povray.unofficial.patches for details of the test setup.