POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Mysteries of Radiosity : Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:13:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity
From: clipka
Date: 12 Feb 2010 10:04:55
Message: <4b756e17$1@news.povray.org>
scott schrieb:
>> That must have been someone else then. But as I said, MCPov is no
>> longer an option for me anyway (not for this case at any rate).
>
> AIUI the modifications made to POV 3.6 to get MCPov were not huge, I
> wonder if there are any blocking points to prevent the same being
> applied to the official POV 3.7 release?

There's one potential stumbling block: The "main loop", as I'd call it.
In order to implement SMP this has changed quite a lot. Re-starting the
render phase over and over again might not be as easy as it was in 3.6.

Aside from that, I guess applying the MCPov magic to POV 3.7 should be
as easy as eating pancakes, at least for someone familiar with the inner
workings of both MCPov and POV 3.7 - given a bit of time.

I hope, however, that whoever picks up that glove will not copy MCPov
behaviour 1:1, as I recently found out that MCPov gets diffuse
illumination wrong by what appears to be a factor of 2 in brightness.