POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Mysteries of Radiosity : Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity
From: Alain
Date: 11 Feb 2010 22:50:31
Message: <4b74d007$1@news.povray.org>

> Radiosity still bears its mysteries, even to me - must be some magic in
> there...
>
> *This* is what I'd call a lighting challenge... quite pathological case,
> I must confess: The door is almost closed, leaving no direct path of
> light to the adjacent room whatsoever. Unfortunately, the high radiosity
> recursion depth makes the light not only "seep" through the gap, but
> also through the walls.
>
> Well, I thought I'd share it anyway. It's a lot better already than
> earlier experiments with the setting.
>
> Render time: Days. Something around 48 hours I guess.

Nice one. Brings back some prety old memories...

Some suggestions for the light going through the wall:
Add interior_texture{rgb 0 ambient 0 diffuse0} to the walls.
Make the walls thicker and have them penetrate the floor.
Place a box, or two, inside the wall, make them ambient -1 to absorb
leaking light.
Stop the floor under the wall, and make the inner box extend well below
the floor.
Add a plynth along the base of the wall. This will also add some
realism, as all houses walls have those.
Around the door, increase the overlap between the wall and the door frame.
Depending on the scale of the scene, scale it up by a factor of 2, 3 or 4.

Alain