POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nostalgic Lego : Re: Nostalgic Lego Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:31:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nostalgic Lego
From: clipka
Date: 10 Feb 2010 13:13:06
Message: <4b72f732$1@news.povray.org>
Ive schrieb:

>> But aren't the transparent parts wrong? AFAIK the transparent parts of
>> that time had "inner pins" just like the non-transparent ones.
>
> The 'glass' tiles I did play with looked like the rendered ones (without
> inner pins) and they did not hold very well together. AFAIR the ones
> with pins did come later.

Ah, so they must have been phased out for a while, but later (somewhere
around 1980) phased back in.

>> I also think you got the axle blocks wrong, IIRC the holes were a good
>> deal lower (but I might be mistaken about that).
>
> You might be right. I have no actual reference and the axle bricks are
> just modeled from memory.

I still have some of them around here, but I'll need to dig them up.

>> The rounding of the corners seems too strong to me (it's perfectly right
>> for the knobs though).
>>

> I still have exactly one old 2x4 red brick (the one I used as reference)
> and its corners are indeed a bit more rounded than those of later and
> contemporary bricks.

Are you sure that is not due to wear and tear?

>> For the perfect finishing touch, try randomly rotating the 1x1 pieces
>> ever so slightly. You'll never ever get them perfectly straight in RL ;-)
>
> I'm already cheating a bit as I never had black wheels (but AFAIR they
> did exist) nor did I have black 'window'-bricks, only white and red ones
> and I even think they did not exist in any other color at that time ;)

You're probably right, but I'm quite sure the black 1x1 windows did
exist at _some_ time, if only as part of some model in a series of
vintage car sets. Must have been somewhen in the mid- or late 70's though.