POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : I need a faster computer. : Re: I need a faster computer. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a faster computer.
From: Tim Cook
Date: 1 Feb 2010 23:52:11
Message: <4b67af7b$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> May be worth looking at your media. Do you have intervals set to
> anything larger than 1? Bring back to 1 and adjust samples as needed.
> intervals 10 samples 5 is much slower than samples 100 intervals 1.
>
> How many dispersion_samples?
>
> It don't looks like a memory isue, unless you have a ridiculously low
> amount in your computer, as you use less than 500 Mb.

Yeah the media's one thing I need to fix and save back to the library...

Really, the thing that's making it slow is the refractive objects.  I
could slap no_image on them and get the nice media/photon effects in a
few minutes.  Turn off the media and photons and have the tetrahedra on
and it takes a few days.

Is there any way to speed that up?  How do commercial renderers compare
speedwise for refractives?  What do they do differently?

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net