POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC Space entry continued : Re: IRTC Space entry continued Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:34:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC Space entry continued
From: Alain
Date: 1 Feb 2010 21:27:26
Message: <4b678d8e$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain wrote:
>
>> Normaly, when you have binary systems like that, you expect the two to
>> have parallel axis. After all, they where formed at the same time,

> True, but the alignment wouldn't be exact as they get pummeled by
> collisions in the early stages and there are also other effects such
> as precession.
Statisticaly, the colisions on both planets would be the same, the shift
would be less than a few second arc, maybe less than 1 second. That's
not perceptible as it's only shift the axis by something like 1 to 4 km
at most.
As for precession, it only causes a wobble, and will affect both planets
equaly.

>> They would very probably be tidaly locked as such a close proximity.
>
> Yes. Interesting point, I never thought about whether tidal locking
> changes the axis of rotation in addition to just slowing it down.
Tidal lock makes the axis parallel.