POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC Space entry continued : Re: IRTC Space entry continued Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:31:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC Space entry continued
From: Alain
Date: 31 Jan 2010 16:32:57
Message: <4b65f709$1@news.povray.org>

> The clouds on the earth-like planet look nice. The rings feel
> out of place on terrestial-mass planets, and they most certainly
> can't be stable in such a close binary system. Also, the four
> astronomical bodies seem a bit artificially lined up, as do
> the perfectly parallel tilts of the two planets.
>
> BTW the rings look like they're perfectly edge-on to the
> sun (spring/autumn equinox) and probably wouldn't cast any
> shadow at all (the average thickness of Saturns rings is
> only on the order of tens of meters on average).

Normaly, when you have binary systems like that, you expect the two to
have parallel axis. After all, they where formed at the same time, from

probably be tidaly locked as such a close proximity.

There is no known lower limit to the radius of a planet that would
prevent it from having a ring system. They feel out of place because our
planet don't have any perseptible ring, but we do have an extremely thin
one composed of fine, very diffuse, silt like, dust. It's TOTAL mass is
estimated to be no more that 10 tons spread in a ring over 2000km whide
in an area above that of the geostationary satellites (about 30 to 48
hours orbital period).

Looking at the rings, they are not perfectly edge on to the sun, just a
few day before or after the equinox. Otherwise, the rings would be much
darker as they would self shadow.

Alain