POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Unreached - WIP : Re: Unreached - WIP Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:32:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unreached - WIP
From: Alain
Date: 19 Jan 2010 12:35:34
Message: <4b55ed66$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain wrote:

>>> Statue from Daz by way of Wings3D,
>>> foreground terrain from Wings3D,
>>> background terrain is World Machine + pattern-generated heightfields +
>>> isosurfaces.
>>>
>>> I'm fairly happy with the image at this point, but I am tempted to add
>>> some further details, and I think the textures merit further work as
>>> well. Some swirling sand would be a nice touch, but I'm not sure at this
>>> point how to pull it off.
>>>
>>> I'd love to hear some feedback, critiques, and interpretations.
>>>
>>> -- Kirk
>>
>> I don't think that you realy need added details. Here are some that I
>> can think of:
>>
> Well, some that have seen the picture have interpreted it as a strange
> metal man swimming through the sand, which is not quite what I had in
> mind. Rather, I'd like the first impression to be that the figure is an
> ancient statue, left over from an ancient civilization now overtaken by
> the desert winds. Only secondarily did I want it to *feel* like the man
> was still reaching for something in the distance. So, I had in mind to
> perhaps add a broken column or two behind the statue to the left. I feel
> like the composition may require something back there anyway.

One or two pieces of a broken column could be good additions. If you go
that way, I can imagine that a broken/chiped stone block or two would
also be appropriate. They sould be almost buried. Maybe a bump somewhere
to sugest that there may be several others buried ones lying around,
wayting to be discovered.

I don't see the figure as metal, and not realy as moving. To me, it's
clearly a stone figure.

Alain