POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown region [ wip 3] : Re: Journey to an Unknown region [ wip 3] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to an Unknown region [ wip 3]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Dec 2009 04:51:52
Message: <4b2f4538$1@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> schreef in bericht
> The rocks look great!  And the media addition is a nice touch, too.
> Something I
> didn't mention before: I really like the ice-like glints on the snow, as
> if it's
> slightly frozen over.
>
> The texture or pigment on the closer, steeper mountain sides still doesn't
> look
> quite right to my eye--something about those little gray(?) speckles. Or
> perhaps
> the surface detail there is still too smooth.

To Ken and Jim, Thanks a lot indeed.

I agree about the rockface in the foreground. It is frustratingly not coming
out as I want it to be. The reason is of course that the height_field is too
smooth at that distance/angle, which cannot be entirely compensated by a
texture. What I need to do is follow Robert McGregor's tip about adding
irregularities to the mountain in the foreground. I can also scale them down
with distance and making them merge with the rocks.

The snow/ice is all to be credited to a nice snow texture by Gail Shaw, she
presented here a couple of years ago:

//snow texture by Gail Shaw:
#declare T_Snow_close=
texture {
  pigment {rgb <0.95,0.95,1>}
  finish {
    ambient 0.0
    diffuse 1.0
    reflection {0,0.2}
    specular 0.6 roughness 0.008
  }
  normal {granite 0.1 scale 0.01}
}

For the snow in the distance, I simply commented out the normal.

Thomas