POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chinese Lady : Re: Chinese Lady Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:33:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chinese Lady
From: Ive
Date: 15 Dec 2009 04:42:54
Message: <4b275a1e$1@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>   Great work, and very well researched as usual!
thank you!

>   Yes, your skin texture is really different, and more convincing than 99%
> I've seen... I too was thinking there was something a little wrong with it,
> but then, when I opened a newsreader window to write this message, the
> upper
> half of the image got hidden, and suddenly the image looked like a photo:
> the skin looks beautiful, and the lips are just so real... the lower
> part of
> the nose is also really convincing. So I think there is a problem with the
> eyes zone, but I can't say exactly what it is... Perhaps is the makeup
> layer
> which is somehow occluding the SSS efect?

This is very interesting and it is indeed very helpful to just look at
parts of the face instead of the whole. Great suggestion!
And your mentioning of the lips brings something to my mind that was
already rumbling back in my head somewhere.
The "lipstick-layer" uses fresnel reflection and no specular/phong
highlights and I think to better model the oiliness of the skin there is
also a fresnel falloff needed for the highlights. As this is not
possible with specular some *real* reflection with a good normal should
do the trick and would also work with radiosity-only lit scenes (or
MCPov). Well, render time will sky rocket but lets see...

thanks for the input
-Ive