POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] : Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip 2] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip 2]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Dec 2009 11:03:25
Message: <4b2661cd@news.povray.org>
"Ive" <"ive### [at] lilysoftorg"> schreef in bericht

> Thanks for the flowers ;) but to me it seems by being a *hobbyist* and not
> a "pro" in the business (who is always restricted by deadlines and so has
> to work in a much more economical way) that almost everything is equally
> fundamental. So I am quite interested in e.g. Thomas' explanation how rock
> layers would run.

I suppose we try to integrate as smoothly as possible our knowledge, and the
knowledge of others, in our personal dreams and creations. That is why these
forums are so hugely important: because of the synergy and the
cross-fertilisation of ideas and techniques.

> Like Thomas (and I believe this is also true for you, Jim) I'm not aiming
> for photorealism. But I think trying to achieve it is a quite interesting,
> entertaining and educational experience. It forces us to look very
> carefully at the "real stuff" to see how things look and - especially for
> the use within a renderer like POV-Ray - we have also to try to understand
> *why* things look the way they do.

Absolutely true.

> My final goal (that I will never reach, but at least trying to get there
> is the main part of the fun) would be to have complete freedom of choice
> how photo-real, hyper-real, un-real, whatever-real an image of mine should
> look like.

<grin> yes, yes!

> I have mentioned the Chinese movie director Wong Kar-Way already a few
> times. What I do find so interesting about his movies (besides that I
> simply love them) is that they are just shot at real locations and he just
> works with the given real lighting conditions but achieves often an effect
> that especially those extremely beautiful Chinese actresses (and actors
> btw) appear sometimes almost ghostly and over worldly.
> For sure locations, camera positions and so on are very carefully chosen
> but it is a completely different way as the common hollywood-shot where a
> lot of afford goes into artificial lighting setup and post processing to
> make things *look* real.
> It would be quite interesting to extract some Wong Kar-Way movie stills
> from blue-ray discs (not available yet) and post them into some CG-forums
> (or here ;)) - by claiming they are CG. I'm pretty sure that a lot of
> people would criticize that it is too obvious CG, that the face looks too
> perfect and symmetric or even locate it deep in the "uncanny valley".

I agree.

Thomas