POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] : Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip 2] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip 2]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Dec 2009 03:12:11
Message: <4b25f35b$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht
> Ive wrote:
>>
>> this one is looking really *cool* and the rocks do add a lot.
>> Some of the "teeth" of the center mountain do look a bit strange to me
>> but IIRC you are the geologist and not me so what do I know ;)
>>
>> -Ive
>
> Yes, in the whole seeing-is-believing/believing-is-seeing dance we do with
> this medium, Thomas' street creds in the geology area count for a LOT.
> (Your's too in the lighting arena btw ;) )

Thank you dear sirs!

To tell the truth, I think that Ive's expertise in lighting and image
control is more fundamental in our mutual business than my knowledge of
geology :-)
That said, while I try to use geology to a certain extent, it also often
gets in the way of pure creation, so it is finding the right balance.
Certainly, the *teeth* are pure WM artifacts (which I have not been able to
eradicate completely) but under some conditions you can find them in nature
too, as particular erosional features. I like to imagine that this landscape
shows steeply inclined, almost vertical, rock layers running over the ridge.

Thomas