POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] : Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Dec 2009 10:23:30
Message: <4b1fc0f2@news.povray.org>
"Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> schreef in bericht
> Wow, really nice so far Thomas, looks great overall!
>
> Here's an idea for some foreground detail: I often use some simple
> height_field
> ledges/rocks scaled quite small and traced down to the surface with
> Reorient_Trans, randomly scattered all atop/inside/through one another for
> some
> detail. Or maybe simple isosurface rocks done in the same way, randomly
> scaled &
> rotated.
>
> I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.
>
> Now I'm off to Amazon to order that book, I need a good read for the
> holidays,
> thanks :)

Thank you Robert!

Good idea abou those ledges. As you will see in the second wip I just
uploaded, I used a mesh rock (need to use 1 or 2 more for differentiation)
with the added nice touch that they are gradually scaling down with
distance. This way I can play with the illusion of distance. VDist(V1,V2)
and little simple calculation did the trick for me.

The foreground needs some *real* snow now.

I hope you like the book. Imo, it is the best in the Mythago Wood Series of
which it is the second. They can be read separately though without much
problems.

Thomas