POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] : Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Dec 2009 04:58:25
Message: <4b1f74c1$1@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht

> It's looking good, Thomas! It reminds me of the mountains we have around
> here,
> but ours are grey with many round stones, and little more rounded at the
> peaks.
> The high country. Beautiful, yet treacherous.
>
> Are you using the free version of World Machine which has a 512x512 height
> field
> resolution limit? If so, I know of a way to get even higher resolution
> maps into
> POV, but WM is not involved. You can use the free version of Terragen to
> make
> your HF, import it into TerraBrush, and then export the HF to a 16-bit
> bitmap
> format. Terragen's erosion functions are terribly slow, but it's the best
> work
> flow I could find for Windows.
>
> Just thought I would share that since I spent a long time searching for a
> solution, and the info is useful :)

Thank you indeed Sam! This is useful info. I do indeed use the free version
of WM. What I often do (not here though) is to load the HF into GeoControl
(or Leveller) and increase the resolution and maybe add some features before
exporting to POV. I confess that I forgot about Terrabrush which I used in
the past along with others. Also Terragen has been somewhat neglected by me
these last couple of years. I like to have several and different
possibilities for approaching a goal.

Thomas