POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Probably I'm just in fact too stupid... : Re: Probably I'm just in fact too stupid... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Probably I'm just in fact too stupid...
From: stbenge
Date: 26 Nov 2009 14:15:26
Message: <4b0ed3ce@news.povray.org>

> Your ring is 5.5 units wide, so I assumed that there is a 36.36 ratio
> between ring radius and scattering/absorption strength... but when I
> applied this to my test scene (not yet the real Saturn scene - for the
> time being, I'm somewhat reluctant to further mess up its already quite
> complicated code!) with a ring radius of 36,800 units, I only got a
> result quite similar the images posted at the top message of this thread!
>
> Would your scattering/absorption settings also work with just a simple
> cylindrical pattern color map rather than your sophisticated function?
>
> Here is my current version of the code:

I don't have much time this morning to figure it out, but it's not
looking very promising. The illumination is not reaching the bottom
side, as you said, not with dense scattering, anyway.

You may try to model the rings at full-size, without scaling, as sacling
can mess up media. If that doesn't work, try keeping all your objects
very small, like they were in my test scene. That may be the only way to
  make this scene work with media.

The other option, of course, is to use a textured disc, or several
stacked discs with the double_illuminate keyword, or discs with C.
Lipka's backside illumination feature for 3.7.

Good luck!

Sam