POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Tree Fractals : Re: Tree Fractals Server Time
24 Apr 2024 18:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tree Fractals
From: clipka
Date: 19 Nov 2009 20:19:33
Message: <4b05eea5$1@news.povray.org>
Gerhard Oosthuizen schrieb:
> It would be nice to have a fractal object for trees and lightning.
> Tree-like fractal textures would also be nice for veins and leaves.

I guess you're talking about fractals of the recursive kind, as in:

     #declare MyTree {
       cylinder { <0,0,0>, <0,1,0> }
       object { MyTree scale 0.5 rotate  z*30 translate y*1 }
       object { MyTree scale 0.7 rotate -z*20 translate y*1 }
     }

(which of course doesn't work in POV-Ray 3.6 or 3.7)

Unfortunately, such recursive definitions are perfectly unsuited for
raytracing, and would have to be "resolved" prior to rendering anyway
(same goes for textures). I think the best way to go about this is to
make the macro mechanism (or whatever exactly might come to replace it)
more elegant and better suited to define "custom primitives", and leave
definition of such trees to libraries.