POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glowing Buckyballs : Re: Glowing Buckyballs Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:28:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glowing Buckyballs
From: clipka
Date: 12 Nov 2009 16:33:19
Message: <4afc7f1f$1@news.povray.org>
CShake schrieb:

> my radiosity block:
> pretrace_start 0.08
> pretrace_end 0.01
> error_bound 0.2
> count 150
> low_error_factor 0.5
> minimum_reuse 0.01
> recursion_limit 2
> nearest_count 4
>

> I'm thinking that I could up the error_bound and make it faster, but the
> count is needed for the amount of media, and the recursion_limit is as
> low as I want to go with all the reflection.

Some things to note here:

- Radiosity probably does not contribute very much to your scene. You
have lots of reflective surfaces, and the others are quite dim. There is
not much diffuse interreflection going on here, so quality on that is
probably not an issue.

- error_bound 0.2 is insanely low.

- make it a habit to always set "always sample" to "off". It really
doesn't help at all (except if you want to provoke artifacts).

- recursion_limit does /not/ specify the "max_trace_level" to use for
radiosity sampling rays. Instead, it solely governs whether
radiosity-based illumination will be taken into account recursively, and
to what depth. Aside from that, radiosity sampling rays are treated
pretty much like normal rays, i.e. the number of classic reflections
they will follow is governed by the global "max_trace_level" (with some
caveats, but that's a different story). Given that radiosity probably
contributes very few to your scene anyway, the "radiosity effect on
radiosity" will be pretty close to zero, so you can set this value to 1.

As a matter of fact, radiosity contribution is probably so low that this
is one of the very few scenes where I'd personally try to go completely
without.