POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stupid Beginner's Media Problem : Stupid Beginner's Media Problem Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Stupid Beginner's Media Problem
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 11 Nov 2009 19:02:18
Message: <4afb508a$1@news.povray.org>
High!

After Christoph's suggestion to use media for my Saturn's rings, I
started working through the Media Tutorial in the POV manual to get a
thorough understanding of what's media all about... but already at the
first simple demo scene, I ran into an impossibility:

Why gives

sphere // transparent sphere containing media
  { <0, 2, 0>,1
    pigment { rgbt 1 }
    hollow
    interior
    { media
      { emission 1
        density
        { spherical density_map
          { [0 rgb 0]
            [0.4 rgb <1,0,0>]
            [0.8 rgb <1,1,0>]
            [1 rgb 1]
          }
        }
      }
   }
}

which I literally copied from the tutorial (except for the position of
the sphere's center), no visible media at all? Yes, I noticed that
emitting media is best visible against dark backgrounds, so I set the
ground plane to rgb 0.2 - but all I ever get is an empty grey plane
beneath an empty black sky!

When I lower the sphere's pigment's rgbt level, the sphere becomes
visible (therefore, no wrong camera orientation), but still with no
visible media inside...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar