POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why you may want gamma-correction : Re: Why is gamma-correction applied in povray, anyway? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:30:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is gamma-correction applied in povray, anyway?
From: scott
Date: 6 Nov 2009 02:55:51
Message: <4af3d687$1@news.povray.org>
> I am having lots of problems with gamma correction on my system. At least
> there are a lot of iffy things.
>
> Contrary to what has been posted here, my video card's driver seems to do
> some gamma correction (Nvidea). At least I can do a some gamma correcting
> in the setup. However, it is a lot of voodoo: I don't know for sure what
> is corrected and when. I really don't see any difference.

Without access to a luminance meter, just show an image like this:

http://web.mit.edu/jmorzins/www/gamma/adilger/gamma.png

Squint your eyes to blur it a bit, and then where the plane grey area (under
the numbers) matches the black/white lines (should be in the 1.6-2.4 range),
you can read off the gamma value.

You can tweak your settings in the nVidia control panel until you achieve a
gamma of 2.2 with that image.