POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why you may want gamma-correction : Re: Why is gamma-correction applied in povray, anyway? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is gamma-correction applied in povray, anyway?
From: scott
Date: 6 Nov 2009 02:48:06
Message: <4af3d4b6@news.povray.org>
> Maybe. As I already posted in reply to clipka, my video card driver
> (Nvidia) allows to do gamma correcting.

You should try to set that to unity as a starting point, otherwise your OS
GUI and any web browsing will be messed up and not as they intended it to be
viewed.  I guess it's more there to tweak your monitor by a very small
amount if it doesn't quite exactly match the standard sRGB gamma (a lot of
monitors nowadays have an "sRGB" setting which I assume is at least close to
the standard), obviously no consumer monitor is perfect unless manually
calibrated.

> Then there is colour temperature, which can be set on most monitors. How
> does this relate to gamma?

In theory not at all, but in practise it probably does a bit just due to the
way its implemented in some monitors.  Colour temperature defines what the
white point should be, for accuracy you should set this to the D65 standard
(daylight 6500K) which is the sRGB standard.  Obviously if you tell your
monitor to use 6500K it might not exactly use it due to manufacturing
tolerances (or there might not even be a scale on your monitor, just "warm"
to "cool"), that's why there are tools to calibrate your monitor.