POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why you may want gamma-correction : Re: Why is gamma-correction applied in povray, anyway? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is gamma-correction applied in povray, anyway?
From: clipka
Date: 5 Nov 2009 18:20:21
Message: <4af35db5$1@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky schrieb:

> I have this gamma control dialog box on my system.  I don't know whether it
> applies gamma correction to the output signal, or controls the LCD itself,
> though I suspect the former.
>
> I've never seen one of these on a CRT based system, but that might well be an
> artifact of history.

Yes, that looks just like one of the tools provided by graphics card
vendors to adjust the output signal of the graphics card.

If it is what it looks like, it essentially tampers with a look-up table
in the graphics card that maps framebuffer values to more precise values
sent to either the LCD via DVI connector or the DAC generating the VGA
signal.

My Nvidia graphics card also came with a tool that would help you set up
that curve properly.