POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC detail shot : Re: IRTC detail shot Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:30:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC detail shot
From: Alain
Date: 3 Nov 2009 11:53:57
Message: <4af06025$1@news.povray.org>

> "Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:
>> Ugh, nice typo... actually, that middle shot is supposed to read
>> "Display_Gamma=1.6"
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation Rob, I too have never understood exactly how
> gamma correction works.. (and I wish that was the only thing I didn't understand
> about POV).
>
> BTW I think the 1.6 image is best and now I am wondering what differnce this
> would make to some/most/all of my images... Yet another lot of test renders to
> perform before I submit my next image.
>
> Sean

Display_gamma should be set once only. It's value should be that of your
display.
If your display HAVE a gamma of 1.6, you must set display_gama to 1.6.
It it's gamma is 2.2, you must set display_gamma to 2.2.

If you set display_gamma wrong, your preview will be wrong, your colour
balance will be skewed, and your real image will look different when
viewed with any viewer, and by others on different display.

assumed_gamma will affect the file, but NOT the display. It, to, must be
correctly set. It MUST NOT be set specificaly for a given scene.

You should not need to gamma correct your image in any post process step.

Alain