POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Over the fields (wip) : Re: Across the fields (wip) with 35mm camera macro Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Across the fields (wip) with 35mm camera macro
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Nov 2009 08:40:36
Message: <4af032d4$1@news.povray.org>
"Ive" <"ive### [at] lilysoftorg"> schreef in bericht
> Me too, and just as a side note: meanwhile I do always use focal blur even
> when there is in fact no blurring visible at all (by using very small
> aperture) because compared to high quality AA settings focal blur gives
> better results in less time. Especially things like the wires in your
> image will even with insane AA settings render with 'gaps' but with fairly
> moderate FB settings they will show as thin lines as they should.

I agree, as I slowly begin to realize the implications of focal blur. Call
me stupid, but I always need *some*  time to adjust to a new world vision
:-)
That said, I am currently experimenting with the different cameras and
settings, and I am curious to see how the power lines are going to show in
particular. Render time is certainly not prohibitive in relation to aa.

> And for the (non-)parallel shadows. In the TC entry it looked to me like
> the shadow lines are merging at a point approximately at the tree line,
> and this seems too close and thus non-parallel shadows, but after thinking
> about it this might be an illusion and the problem seems to be (especially
> given the sun size) there should be no sharp shadows from the tree tops at
> all. In this respect your wip 3 shot looks perfect to me. But I did like
> the calm sky from your TC entry better than the more dramatic one you did
> make with Terragen - but thats just me ;)

Yes, I know what you mean. The sharp tree shadows in my first wip are mainly
due to the use of a point light. An area light should replace it of course.

Thomas