POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : how to integrate povray into Maya : Re: how to integrate povray into Maya Server Time
14 May 2024 18:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to integrate povray into Maya
From: clipka
Date: 29 Oct 2009 17:55:18
Message: <4aea0f46$1@news.povray.org>
clipka schrieb:
> scott schrieb:
>
>> That's what I don't understand, Fresnel should determine the
>> reflection % based on the IOR and the angle, nothing else, I don't get
>> what the other two parameters do in this cae, or what I should set
>> them to.  I just use reflection{1 fresnel on} for now - I hope that is
>> physically correct.
>
> To get physically correct results (well, as close as you get with
> POV-Ray's "fresnel" feature), it should be:
>
>     reflection { 0, 1 fresnel on }
>
> though for convenience the syntax
>
>     reflection { MAX fresnel on }
>
> is interpreted as:
>
>     reflection { 0, MAX fresnel on }
>
> so the syntax you use does work as well.

I have closely examined the code by now, to find out the following:

- The code does indeed implement the exact Fresnel equations for the
special case that the incident light is unpolarized, though I have not
the slightest clue how; the implemented function doesn't look anywhere
close to anything I've been able to find on the 'net so far. But the
values are flawless.

- when specifying "reflection{MIN,MAX fresnel on}", this will reduce the
maximum reflectivity to MAX, while at the same time increasing the
minimum reflectivity. However, MIN in this case is /not/ to be taken
literally as the minimum effective reflectivity; instead, it specifies a
kind of "zero reference" for reflectivity calculations; i.e. if the
minimum reflectivity according to the Fresnel equations would be
FRESNEL_MIN, the resulting effective minimum would be MIN +
FRESNEL_MIN*(MAX-MIN).