POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : how to integrate povray into Maya : Re: how to integrate povray into Maya Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:45:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to integrate povray into Maya
From: scott
Date: 28 Oct 2009 09:17:32
Message: <4ae8446c$1@news.povray.org>
>> I don't think that the Mental Ray shader is doing anything fundamentally
>> different to POV or Luxrender.
>
> Still, it seems to display some of the best glassware around.  If it
> requires this much tweaking, I wonder why so many users seem to get it
> relatively easily in their renders.

I suspect you can just do an "Insert -> Dielectric Shader" and the defaults
are all pretty accurate for glass.

For example, in POV you need to type reflection{ a,b fresnel on}.  What do a
and b do in this situation, given that the fresnel equations should exactly
define the % reflection and % transmission?