POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : how to integrate povray into Maya : Re: how to integrate povray into Maya Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:32:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to integrate povray into Maya
From: scott
Date: 28 Oct 2009 04:31:02
Message: <4ae80146@news.povray.org>
> I once tried to render a similar scene on Luxrender, also unbiased.  It
> too wasn't quite able to reproduce that same delicious Mental Ray
> dielectric shader effect.  Does that mean the Mental Ray dielectric
> shader, while beautiful, does not correspond to reality?

I think it's just a matter of tweaking the colours, filter/transmit
parameters, reflection values, etc.  But the problem is with unbiased
renderers it can take an age to go through this trial/error process if you
are trying to copy some effect.

I don't think that the Mental Ray shader is doing anything fundamentally
different to POV or Luxrender.