POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : how to integrate povray into Maya : Re: how to integrate povray into Maya Server Time
29 Apr 2024 03:38:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to integrate povray into Maya
From: nemesis
Date: 28 Oct 2009 03:15:06
Message: <4ae7ef7a@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Using MCPOV should make things better.
>
> Hehe, overnight on MCPOV and it's getting there I think.

I once tried to render a similar scene on Luxrender, also unbiased.  It
too wasn't quite able to reproduce that same delicious Mental Ray
dielectric shader effect.  Does that mean the Mental Ray dielectric
shader, while beautiful, does not correspond to reality?

So, I don't really think you're quite there yet if this render is any
indication.  I'm not really concerned with the shadows or caustics, but
with the fact that the blue glass behind comes up with almost the same
color after passing through the red glass:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5a/Le_doublot.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Glass_is_Liquide.jpg

Colors are vibrant. Transparencies are forgiving.  Real or not, it's a
marvel to look at...