POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Refraction & Dispersion Example : Re: Refraction & Dispersion Example Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Refraction & Dispersion Example
From: clipka
Date: 27 Oct 2009 05:20:30
Message: <4ae6bb5e$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot schrieb:
> Excellent work, sir! You are entitled to a bonus :-)

I'm still not happy with the whole smash.

Notice the brightness "peak" in the violet range? Doesn't appear natural
to me.

Right until beta.34, POV-Ray has been using a rather obscure and sketchy
formula to compute spectral colors, based on data from the 'net that I
didn't manage to track down. This makes it difficult to determine (a)
what color space the underlying data was designed for, (b) whether the
original data was gamma-precorrected or not, and (c) what wavelengths
the code is normalized to.

I tried to replace the formula with an interpolation table generated
from physical data normalized to the sRGB color space, but it looked
even worse.

(I did replace the formula with a table though - using values generated
directly from the formula for now - as this was needed to address the
"color drift" that occurred with low dispersion sample count.)