POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Real glass of water : Re: Real glass of water Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real glass of water
From: nemesis
Date: 22 Oct 2009 14:53:07
Message: <4ae0aa13$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis escreveu:
> BTW, Alain once gave me a tip I never forget:  a properly set
> adc_bailout in the global_settings is awesome for performance of
> refractions and reflections.  Drop the fog and use it.
>
> forget it, I'll take your scene for a spin tonight on my Q6600 if you
> don't mind... :)

BTW, I added adc_bailout 0.03 to global_settings and the radiosity and
photon blocks.  I also lowered photon distance to 0.05 since the
adaptive control is in charge.  I got rid of the fog.  Then rendered
with same resolution and it took 2 hours and 49 minutes on the Q6600, so
I guess it'd render at about some 12 hours in your P4.

I didn't post it though because it's still not same quality as your
effort.  The caustics are still not that well defined.  I'll try again
tonight with 0.02 for photon mapping.  We'll see...

also had to find another wood table texture.  Found one at a fairly
large resolution... and only after rendering I noticed it comes with a
watermark in small letters right close to the center!  Perfect marketing
for large renders... :D

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9